Friday, June 24, 2011

What have you given up lately?

I am trying to get rid of as many disposable paper products in my house as possible.  I do still buy paper towels, but it takes us quite a while to use up a roll.  Just about the only thing I use them for anymore is to clean glass and to clean up extra nasty messes such as cat vomit.  Instead, I use old towels to clean up messy spills or microfiber towels for extra wet messes.  
I also haven't purchase disposable paper napkins in quite a while.  We have a few cloth napkins, but I would like to add a few more to have on hand for entertaining.  For the kids, I have been using old cloth diapers as napkins for a few years.  Several of them are starting to show their wear.
I may buy paper plates on rare occasions, such as a child's birthday party, but that's about it.
Lastly, there is toilet paper.  No, I'm not giving that up, but do buy paper made of recycled materials much to my husband's chagrin.  I have heard of households using "family wipes,"  but I am not nearly daring enough to take on that sort of task.  Some things are best kept private in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment