Thursday, September 1, 2011

Favorite

It's a little late in the season for this, but hummingbirds are one of my favorite things about summer in the South.  Lately they've been especially active, so I thought I should make note of them before the weather gets cool and they move to a warmer climate.
Around May they start to show up and remind me that it's time to get my feeder out.  I have a hook for a feeder that is just outside of my kitchen window, so I get to look at these little guys almost every time I am washing dishes or doing some other chore in the kitchen.  They are especially fun to watch when they are battling over a spot on the feeder.  They just don't want to share even though there's enough room for four to feed at once.
So, if you don't have a feeder, maybe now is a good time to get one at a discount and save it for next summer.  Here's a nice one that is similar to the one I have.  Look for one with perches so you can actually see the birds at rest for a minute or so.  Lastly, no need to buy nectar, you can easily make your own sugar water.
Have fun bird watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment